HIDDEN TREASURES 

By Tessa Harvey


          As soon as she woke to sunlight streaming through her bedroom window, Jess took a few moments to orient herself, then felt a sense of fear - no one moving in the kitchen, quietly singing or even humming while collecting cups, bowls or plates for breakfast. Her nan was always an early bird, unlike her husband and Jess.
    Slowly Jess felt for her slippers with one hand and then grabbed her warm nightrobe to pull over her pyjamas.
    The house felt cold, despite the sun. Peering round her nan's bedroom door, she saw the older lady sleeping and sighed with relief, but then heard her cough harshly and move restlessly.
    Anxious for help, Jess phoned her friend Janice for advice. She had so enjoyed the days spent with the news correspondent. It had been restful and also invigorating - and Janice had really helped Jess with ideas for her study that had taken her time to master and yet was willing to share.
    "Look, I do care," Janice was saying, and I can help, practically. My brother is a locum, not far from you. I'll send his contact details. He's in the area another week, I think."


Comments

Popular posts from this blog