HIDDEN TREASURES
By Tessa Harvey
Lilla made a huge effort to control her emotions and deflect their focus.
"Anyway, I'm happy for you guys." Lilla smiled. "Seen the way you look at each other!"
Jess blushed. "I could pray for a Godly husband for you," she offered, kindly. But Lilla was again angry. "Hey, I'm not some Goody Two-Shoes! When I was ten, it wasn't cool to be the sex you were at birth. My friend had autism - such a pretty girl. We were always giggling at some silly joke. Well, she decided to be a boy and the whole school applauded her in assembly for her courage."
Lilla looked sad. "But you had Popsickle and Mopsickle . I guess you were Topsickle."
Jess looked really hurt, shaken at her attack.
"Sorry Lilla. I am only just remembering you when you were little. I was very ill."
But Lilla was bitter. "Me, I was Icycle, alone. There was a motherly teacher I liked once. I pretended she was my mum and followed her around. I watched families at Christmas and doing stuff...." Her voice trailed away. "Let's clear the dishes and go out somewhere. Ok? Sorry, guys!"

Comments
Post a Comment