HIDDEN TREASURES
By Tessa Harvey
One day, a Saturday, Matthew called into the tiny house and offered to help with the garden - mowing, pruning, weeding.
The women were drinking cup-a- soup and crusty warm bread rolls. It was a mild day towards the end of winter. The lawn and weeds were celebrating by growing high!
Jess gave him a cup and gave the young man a choice of soup. He chose mushroom, his favourite and even devoured two crusty rolls. "Didn't realise I was so hungry," Matthew yawned.
"Look," he continued, softly, "Jess, you said Mops was going to share some important news. Do you think it was about Lilla?"
"We thought that," Jess answered sadly. "Mops and Pops were old for grandparents. We wondered if two children were too much for them."
Lilla was simmering with rage. "Why didn't they at least get together?" Her voice rose. "The folks that got me didn't like children. Several times they told me they would not have anything to do with my real family! I hate them! I am glad they are dead." Her face crumpled and she cried, head in hands.

Comments
Post a Comment